Monday, August 2, 2010

Cancer

August 2, 2010

I found out this morning that a friend of mine has breast cancer. Although we haven't seen each other in ten years, she is still my friend. This is her second time around with this disease. She has survived ten years without it. The cancer has spread to her brain and a lot of her body...this is what we have been told. She is paralyzed on the right side of her body, also. She wants no phone calls, emails, or visits. Her family will tell her about any flowers sent and will read her mail to her. We have been told that her time is short. I would dearly like to just put my arms gently around her, but I will respect her wishes and not intrude. We grew up with together...yes from kindergarten through 12th grade. The graduating class of 1968 of Manitou Springs was less than 100 students. Played together, went to birthday parties all through the years and rode together to and from school during high school. I went to her house and she came to mine. We were on the pep squad in high school together. She would enter my thoughts for the last couple of months - more than usual. My grandson sold her Mother and her Aunt Scout popcorn this past year. My friend has two grown sons.

A classmate keeps in touch with her brother. An email was sent from her brother to the classmate and then forwarded onto our class President, Mark. He is good at notifying our class of illness, marriages, deaths, etc. He doesn't like the death part, but nevertheless, he does it.

She will never read this nor will her family tell her about it (they don't know I blog). Suppose it is some sort of venting or therapy for me putting some of my thoughts on a page. Perhaps more will be written later. At times when we experience death, we cry because they feel a sense of loss...of permanent departure. I feel so darn bad for her family. She hasn't passed away, but she will. As we all will. Her parents are living and I know this is...well if you have never lost a child (it doesn't matter what the age) you will never know what they are feeling. You will never know the sense of loss. You will know that it will be a very very sad time.

Doctor appointment needs to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment