Monday, August 24, 2009

Our weekend without Kellie




While Kellie was earning her Wood Badge rank, Joshua and I slept late.

For breakfast I cooked scrambled eggs, bacon and toast with grape jelly. I usually don't approach the stove. It's a very nice stove, but Kellie doesn 99% of the cooking here. Joshua and I were going to play lots and then shop in the evening, but plans changed.

First we went shopping for a new shower curtain, rod and rings. And then for a new eyeglass case. Joshua came across the Oh so special just have to have it SpongeBob eyeglass case.

A sturdy rubber band would not hold or close my old lady bug eyeglass case. That was another one of his selections. I was going to purchase a grown up brown or black 'nice' one. Well, with this new one, at least I should be able to locate it. This is our conversation -

Joshua: Gram, this is so cool - look! Oh, Grandma, I think you
should get this one (handing me SpongeBob). And when
you are done with it, may I have it, please?

Me aka Grandma
or Gram: You don't wear glasses.
Joshua: It's for my sunglasses.

So I pay $1.00 more so that I can have a cool eyeglass case.

Newsflash update - As we drive away from the store -

Grandma: Joshua, do you have sunglasses?
Joshua: Yes.
Grandma: Do you know the location of said sunglasses?
Joshua: Not at this time.

Go figure.

Next we went to the cemetery. We have family there. Joshua has never met any of them, but he knows they are family and that they are special to me. One of them being my Father. Joshua has seen several pictures of Daddy. Oh, I forgot to bring flowers for his grave.

Like me, Joshua likes to walk the cemetery a bit. If he didn't want to, I certainly wouldn't force him. One day last year we covered the entire place. This is not on flat land. Sometimes he doesn't remember where the babies are buried. I guess decades ago a section was reserved for babies. He asked about this and we walked over to it. After saying the small area was nice, he then asked if all the babies HAD to be buried here. I answered no and that we would probably find more stones with the words 'our little angel' or 'our beloved baby' on them. We did. A few had small toys attached to the stone or placed beside them.

We saw several larger areas surrounded by rocks or a small wall. Joshua wanted to know why one or two people (two head stones) would want a large area. And were they large or maybe tall people. I explained that these were family plots. An area was purchased years ago so that family members could be buried together if they wanted. A couple of these plots had babies buried there.

At the top of the cemetery are three stones measuring one to two feet tall. They are so old the majority of the names/dates are gone. Joshua got close to them and he thinks one name is PALAN.

Driving out Joshua asked where Mrs. Liby was. We had already driven past her grave. When asked if he wanted to go back, he said we could see her on the next visit.

We had originally planned a picnic on Saturday, but decided it was too warm. At least that's what I told Joshua. After coming home from the cemetery, we watched a little television and hung out. He thought we were in for the day, but nooooooooo. I put on my shoes and he asked why I had on my shoes. When I told Joshua that I needed to wear shoes in order to drive, get sandwiches, chips and cookies for our picnic, his eyes got as big as saucers.

We went to Manitou Springs. That's where I grew up. So we ate, he ran, we played, and he fed the ducks. He asked if this was the same creek I played in when I was little. It's the same. The creek used to be wider and deeper, but it's basically the same. As children we would get those HUGE inner tubes and ride down the creek. So much fun.

Joshua also asked if one day I would take him in the part of the creek that runs by Ruxton Avenue (under the bridges, etc.) and continues under the Penny Arcade like I used to do when I was little. I told him 'no'. And that Grandma June (his great grandmother - my Mom) ever found out about it, she would probably put me over her checkered apron. I don't think Mom knows I did that. We used to climb down red rock walls that had to have been at least eight feet high into the creek.

I like taking Joshua places I've been as a child. I guess I do this so that he knows Grandma hasn't always been a Grandma. He told me he had a fun day. And that he really liked feeding the ducks. We'll go back again.

3 comments:

  1. It really is quite special isn't it. Our grandchildren are so precious. You are blessed to have day's like this with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, we are truly blessed. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had quite the busy day. I think Joshua is lucky to have a Grandma like you :)

    ReplyDelete